Tuesday 25 June 2013

Readers Post, a Love/Hate Relationship

I've been a size 14 my entire adult life except for a glorious 3-6 month period where a bout of bulimia paid off and I finally fit my size 10 red velvet flares. 

I felt amazing in them and I received SO many compliments - mostly of the 'you've lost so much weight' and 'you look so good' variety. 
Eventually I got sick of the bulimia and gradually put the weight back on through a pure love of eating, feeling satisfied after eating and reaching my early/mid twenties and realising my health was more valuable than my size (by this I mean that vomitting after meals must surely be worse than eating too much.)

My relationship with food is like a teenage friend - sometimes I need it to be everything to me - friend, confidant, almost a lover - and other times I can't bear to be around it, or it to be around me. 
Sugar is my worst enemy and my best friend, if only I took the time to think it through before indulging.

In terms of fashion, I've never been interested in what the magazines or trendy people say. I've tried to work with what I like, what feels 'original' - yet doesn't stand out too much - and what feels comfortable. 

I hate trying clothes on in change rooms as I usually feel a sense of shock at how I look from so many angles - chins that I don't usually see, extra rolls at my waist - my confidence evaporates at such close examination.

Really I think anyone can be fashionable as long as they try something a little different, feel confident and don't follow the crowd.

Food has been my frenemy for so many years - I associate many occasions & life moments with certain foods & drinks. For me eating fills a hole in my psyche - I feel unsure when I'm hungry - a little bit empty, worried, grumpy.

I've had a few glasses of wine before writing this - I hope I've given you something valuable to use - if not, well it's been a strange sort of journal entry for me to write.



No comments:

Post a Comment