Wednesday 26 June 2013

The Five Hands diet aka The Victoria Beckham diet, part one

Ok, so when I first read this one I did freak out a little bit
VB is best known for 3 things

1. being married to David Beckham
2. being Posh Spice
3. being very, very, thin


So I didn't expect to be fed much..

According to Grazia magazine, Posh went on the Five Hands diet to loose the 1st 7lbs (about 10kgs,) days after giving birth to daughter, Harper Seven, to get back to her svelte self just in time for fashion week
Posh's sources said she snacked 5 times a day on a high protein foods like chilli prawns, smoked salmon and scrambled eggs
She also ate a lot of green vegetables and salad, drank gallons of water and exercised for 30 minutes a day to help shift the excess baby fat

There are a few different variations on the Five Hands Diet and when I was researching I couldn't seem to find an eating plan as such

I did find these guidelines from one source:


There are plenty of foods and greens to choose from. You should always calculate the total of proteins and carbs eaten at a single meal, not for the whole day.
The low-fat protein meals will consist mostly of turkey breat and fish, an amount equal to the thickness and size of your palm.
The carbohydrates are separated in a degree, depending on the volume you should consume in a single meal)
You have carbohydrates that can be consumed in unlimited quantity. You might not enjoy some of these but there’s plenty to choose from: mushrooms, radishes, shallots, raw broccoli, cabbage, raw celery, cauliflower, endives, parsley, etc
In a volume of 2 clenched fists, you can consume: cucumbers, green beans, cooked broccoli, asparagus, tomatoes, strawberries, brussel sprouts, etc.
In a volume of a single clenched fist, you can eat: peas, garlic, carrots, coleslaw, ginger, onions, etc. Plus, you can include the following fruits: raw pineapple, watermelon, blueberries, apples, grapes, limes, peaches, grapefruits, etc.
For the following carbohydrates, it is best to consume a maximum of 2/3 of your clenched fist: greens like chickpeas, kidney beans, parsnip, yams, cooked carrots, beans, beetroot; fruits like plums, papaya, mandarins, kiwi, unsweetened applesauce.
In the Five Hands Diet, it is best to limit or avoid the following carbohydrate foods: dried prunes, bananas, raw figs, all sorts of wheat products (spaghetti, tortillas, waffles, pasta, pizza crust, bread, bagels, etc).
The Five Hands Diet has no contraindications for sick people. All these proteins and carbohydrates are recommended and healthy for your body.


I have read the information above about 20 times and I'm still confused what to ear and when
I am going with Posh's basic eating plan, 5 hands, protein, green vegetables, exercise for 30 minutes a day and drink lots of water....

According to one source, Posh was free to drink whatever she liked. Posh loves champagne, amen sister, this diet is starting to sound ok to me...

Starting weight 68.5kg

Day 1
Breakfast
an espresso I'm not sure if milk is allowed, sugar def. isn't so I skip both
100grms of egg white with a cup of onion, spinach and mushrooms cooked in

Snack
handful of almonds apparently you eat what you can lay flat across your palm, no stacking them or laying them up your fingers!!

Lunch
100grms of tuna with raw lettuce, tomato and cabbage

Snack
handful of almonds

Dinner
100grms of salmon with a cup of steamed broccoli and mushrooms

no exercise today...


Day 2
Breakfast
skim flat white
2x boiled eggs

Snack
95grm tin of tuna


Lunch
95grm tin of tuna

Snack
95grm tin of tuna

Dinner
95grm tin of tuna
a cup of lettuce and red cabbage

30 minutes exercise on the elliptical


Day 3
Breakfast
skim flat white 
2x boiled eggs

Snack 
handful of almonds

Lunch 
95grms of tuna

Snack 
95grms of tuna

Dinner
200grms of grilled salmon
a cup of cooked broccoli, onion and mushrooms
3x vodka sodas with lime

My fiance had cooked me a whole piece of fish and I just ate the lot.... there was no way that I was just eating half, I was too hungry
I didn't feel hungry afterwards but I didn't feel satisfied either

I remember reading on one website that Posh was free to 'drink whatever she liked,' surely she doesn't drink cans of coke but with this in mind and in attempt to stop overeating I made a drink to take the edge off and ended up drinking another two
I slept like a baby with no hunger pains

no exercise today


Day 4
Breakfast
skim flat white 
2x boiled eggs

Snack 
handful of almonds

Lunch 
handful of almonds

Snack
handful of almonds

I know right? You are so bored of reading this eating plan, trust me, I am more bored eating it 
I gave eating salad at lunch times because I felt like I was just eating leaves with no dressing and you can't add salt to anything....blahhhh
Good news is, I am down 1.1kgs in just 4 days despite drinking last night
This night I went out for a drink with a friend and this is when things got a little out of control...

Dinner
It's really hard to find 100grms of protein at a bar, we ordered a cheese bored because I thought I could eat the smoked salmon off it
I ended up eating...

around 100grms of smoked salmon
4x crackers 
a few grapes about 
50grms of cheese
8x green olives
2x mojitos with lychees in them

Damn you Victoria Beckham! How do you go out and deny yourself the delicious cheese board laid out and offered in front you ??

But that's not all, then I went home, still hungry (because crackers and cheese is not much of a dinner) and ate...

a bowl of lentils
95grms of tuna
3x salada biscuits
2x vodka and sodas with a dash of cranberry
4x prunes
4x squares of chocolate 
2x tablespoons of ice cream

safe to say...

no exercise today

I went to bed feeling like such a failure and thought of Victoria Beckham snake eyeing me and singing 'Stop right now, thank you very much...'

Look let's not blow this out of proportion, I did have a mini binge but on the plus side I only ate small amounts of a lot of different things and most of them were healthy choices... And this is where this diet fails me a bit.. I am hungrier at night time, I like to eat sweet things, I cannot stick to these strict guidelines when my friends around me aren't.

Sometimes I need a few salada biscuits in my life.

I woke up the next day feeling totally deflated, I weighed myself again and actually I hadn't gained 6943764387 kilos like I thought I did 

I am no quitter and I decide to see my last Posh day out despite a minor hiccup 

I have also bought some berries to try and control my ravenous night time sugar and carb cravings...

My inner VB is feeling more motivated then ever....






...to be continued

http://style.uk.msn.com/health/posh’s-strict-five-hands-diet
http://www.e-natural.org/five-hands-diet/


2 comments:

  1. She may be doing the hand diet to keep that thin. I'm sure she watches her portions.

    Marilyn
    www.whysugar.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool sense of humor :) I like your post.

    ReplyDelete